Thursday, March 12, 2009

The gift...

When I first start dating a girl there is a certain gift that I like to give her. It works like a charm. I give her The Gift of Missing Me! It's works great. I know it sounds a little counter intuitive, but it really works. Turns out it is even in line with the Tao of Steve (to be explained in the future). Anticipation builds excitement. One reason kid are so excited on Christmas morning is because of anticipation and waiting. There is a cartoon I saw as a kid--called Christmas Everyday, I believe; about little girl whose wishes for Christmas everyday granted. At first it is great but pretty soon it gets old. So she wishes things back to normal. Anyway back to The Gift of Missing Me and then I'll tie it all together.

Here is the run down of how it works. Pick a girl and take her on a date. Make it an awesome date; one of those I had a such a good time I can't wait to see him again, dates. Then make her wait. Not forever and don't avoid her. Make it so she misses you a bit. Each case is different and needs to be played by ear, but generally I don't text or call them for at least 24 hours and I give it 48 before I see them. That doesn't mean that I don't answer their calls or text or avoid places I know they will be. It means I make sure that I am busy, so when they call or I run into them I can keep it short or wait a bit before texting back. Then when she does see meagain it is refreshing and something waited for.

What does Christmas Everyday and The Gift of Missing Me have in common. Some things are more special when they are a bit on the rare side. Like gold and diamonds. When a relationship is new or you are trying to start one; I believe it is better to keep thing on the rare side. Not too rare mind you but don't wear out your welcome before things ever get going.

Give it a try, can it hurt?

1 comment:

  1. Levi, I just found your blog. It sounds like it will be fun. I liked your first blog about not "crushing". I couldn't agree more. However, I think that this post is a bit extreme. I agree that you can't be to clingy at the beginning. But I absolutely HATE when people turn dating into a game, like "Don't call until at least three days after you go on a date", or act really interested on the date but then make them make the next move. It's all so superficial. I think that there is a lot to be said about making sure that you don't invest too much too early, and that you shouldn't knock down their door the next day. But if they are interested and you act like you aren't as interested as you really are, it can damage the relationship up front. Believe me, I know.
    I hope that I haven't offended you. You know that I am just as opinionated as you are... so it shouldn't surprise you. However, I am interested in hearing your response to this comment. It's good to hear from you even a little bit, I hope that things are going well!

    ReplyDelete